With Prelims but a distant memory, you are now ready to delve into some of the more sophisticated areas of Micro. While the subject matter might seem abstract and overly technical at times, remember that the skills you will learn over the term will be invaluable to you as an economist. This course will introduce you to a core set of techniques and methods, which you must master before you can head off and apply economic analysis to the various topics that you might be interested in, from development economics to family economics to monetary economics.
The course webpage is here.
The reading list and problem sets are here.
To be updated as we move through the course. Note that “interesting” does not always mean “correct”!
General Equilibrium & Welfare
- What’s More Dangerous: Marijuna or Alcohol? Freakonomics Podcast
- Ronald Coase and the Misuse of Economics, The New Yorker
- The Wages of Sin Taxes, The Atlantic
- Commentary on NY Decision to Regulate Airbnb
- Coase Theorem in Action, Mankiw
- Before the Flood, Film trailer
- The Future of Fossil Fuels, Dieter Helm
- Implications of Brexit for Energy Policy , UK Parliament Live